2300 Orleans Street West, Stillwater

(651) 439-7434

AARP Tax Assistance

Since 1973, Community Thread has partnered with the AARP Tax-Aide Foundation to offer free income tax filing to low- to moderate-income taxpayers.

This service is provided in partnership with trained and certified AARP tax-aide volunteers who file federal and state income tax returns.Returns can be prepared only for Minnesota residents who are not required to file a state tax return in any state other than Minnesota. A copy of the taxpayer’s return and all original documents will be returned. For more information, visit the Minnesota Department of Revenue web page at http://www.revenue.state.mn.us.

AARP Tax Assistance

2024 Tax-Aide AppointmentS

Thank you for your interest. Appointments for this year are full. 

For further assistance, please contact Prepare & Prosper at 651-287-0187.


State Tax Returns

State filing and payment deadlines vary and are not always the same as the federal filing deadline. Some states automatically accept a federal Form 4868 extension, other states have extended their tax filing dates – taxpayers should check their state tax agency for more information.

No tax records are stored at Community Thread at any time during or after the tax filing period has ended.

Please bring the following list of items with you to your scheduled appointment


Bring the items listed below to your appointment. If you do not have the proper documents with you at your appointment time, you will have to reschedule.

  • The completed Intake/Interview and Quality Review Sheet (linked here)
  • Photo identification
  • Birth date and Social Security card (or ITIN documentation) for each person listed on the return
  • A voided check if you would like your refund/balance due deposited/withdrawn from your bank account
  • Printed copy of your 2021 income tax return(s)
  • W-2 forms from each employer for tax year 2022
  • 1099-MISC forms or documentation for self-employment income in tax year 2022
  • 1099-NEC forms or documentation for self-employment income in tax year 2022
  • 1099-R forms if you received pension or annuity income in tax year 2022
  • 1099-SSA forms if you received Social Security benefits in tax year 2022
  • 1099-G forms if you received any unemployment compensation in tax year 2022
  • Listings of gambling winnings in tax year 2022
  • Any 1099 forms or brokerage statements showing interest and/or dividend income and any documents showing the cost and sales proceeds of assets (stock, etc.) sold in tax year 2022
  • All documents for itemizing deductions: mortgage interest, property taxes paid, medical costs, educational costs, charitable contributions, vehicle license costs, sales tax for any large purchases.
  • Estimated tax payments made in 2022 or January 2023 for your 2022 tax liability
  • 1095-A Health Care Insurance Marketplace Statement 2022
  • If you are a renter, bring your Certificate of Rent paid in 2022
  • If you are a homeowner, bring your 2023 Property Tax Statement (usually received in March/April 2023)
  • Bring any letters you received from the IRS or MN Revenue since the end of 2021