AARP Tax Assistance

The AARP Tax-Aide program, sponsored by the AARP Foundation, is offered in conjunction with the IRS and the State of Minnesota for low and moderate-income taxpayers, with special attention to those age 50+. Assistance is free.

Trained and certified AARP Tax-Aide volunteers will offer free tax assistance to community members at Community Thread from February 4 to April 10. These volunteers will explain tax requirements, answer questions, complete your tax return (based on the documents you present) and electronically file your return at no cost to you. A copy of your return and all original documents will be returned to you.

You may request a tax appointment beginning January 7, 2019.
Call 651-439-7434 to schedule your appointment.

Please Note:

  • Not all IRS Forms and Schedules can be prepared by AARP Tax-Aides (e.g. residential rental income, etc.).
  • Returns can only be prepared for Minnesota residents with income from Minnesota or Wisconsin.

What to bring to your appointment.
In addition to the items listed below, we encourage you to bring any additional documents that could possibly be relevant to your situation. Tax-Aide volunteers will assess the need for information during your appointment.

If you do not have the proper documents with you at appointment time, you will have to reschedule.

For filing federal and state income taxes:

  • Photo identification
  • Birth date and Social Security card(s) for each person listed on the return
  • Health Care Insurance Information for Filers and all Dependents for each month of 2018, including any documents you may have received from the “Exchange” (also called the “Health Insurance Marketplace.”)
  • Copy of 2017 income tax return(s)
  • W-2 forms from each employer for tax year 2018
  • 1099-misc forms or documentation for self-employment income in tax year 2018
  • 1099-R forms if you received pension or annuity income in tax year 2018
  • SSA-1099 forms if you received Social Security benefits in tax year 2018
  • 1099-G forms if you received any unemployment compensation in tax year 2018
  • Listings of gambling winnings in tax year 2018
  • All 1099 forms showing interest and/or dividend income and any documents showing the cost of assets (stock, etc.) sold in tax year 2018
  • Any educational costs in tax year 2018

If you intend to itemize your deductions:

Mortgage interest, property taxes paid, medical costs and contributions, charitable contributions, vehicle license costs, sales tax for any large purchase.