AARP Tax Assistance
Since 1973, Community Thread has partnered with the AARP Tax-Aide Foundation to offer free income tax filing to low- to moderate-income taxpayers.
This service is provided in partnership with trained and certified AARP tax-aide volunteers who file federal and state income tax returns. Returns can be prepared only for Minnesota residents who are not required to file a state tax return in any state other than Minnesota.
2021 Tax-aide program
In partnership with AARP Tax-Aide Program, Community Thread is offering free income tax filing to low- to moderate-income tax payers. Due to the pandemic, the program will follow the AARP Foundation Tax-Aide Service Reopening Process to limit the spread of COVID-19 based on the current stage of the epidemic.
Register for an appointment at Community Thread for the 2021 tax filing season by calling 651-439-7434 Monday-Friday, 9am-4pm.
Items needed for appointments
You must bring the items listed below to your appointment. If you do not have the proper documents at appointment time, you will have to reschedule.
- Photo identification
- Birth date and Social Security card (or ITIN documentation) for each person listed on the return
- A voided check if you would like your refund/balance due deposited into your bank account
- The completed Intake/Interview and Quality Review Sheet (Form 13614-C found here)
- Printed copy of your 2019 income tax return(s)
- W-2 forms from each employer for tax year 2020
- 1099-misc forms or documentation for self-employment income in tax year 2020
- 1099-R forms if you received pension or annuity income in tax year 2020
- 1099-SSA forms if you received Social Security benefits in tax year 2020
- 1099-G forms if you received any unemployment compensation in tax year 2020
- Listings of gambling winnings in tax year 2020
- Any 1099 forms showing interest and/or dividend income and any documents showing the cost of assets (stock, etc.) sold in tax year 2020
- All documents for itemizing deductions: mortgage interest, property taxes paid, medical costs and educational costs, charitable contributions, vehicle license costs, sales tax for any large purchases
- Estimated tax payments in 2020
- If you are a renter, bring your Certificate of Rent paid in 2020
- 1095-A Health Care Insurance Marketplace Statement 2020 if you received it
State Tax Returns
State filing and payment deadlines vary and are not always the same as the federal filing deadline. Some states automatically accept a federal Form 4868 extension, other states have extended their tax filing dates – taxpayers should check their state tax agency for more information.
No tax records are stored at Community Thread at any time during or after the tax filing period has ended.