AARP Tax Assistance
Community Thread offers free tax filing assistance to low and middle-income taxpayers beginning in early February by appointment only. Trained AARP Tax-Aide volunteers, certified by the Internal Revenue Service and MN Department of Revenue, explain tax requirements, answer questions, and electronically file income tax returns. Returns can only be prepared for Minnesota residents with income from Minnesota. Not all forms and schedules can be prepared (for example, residential rental income). Qualified taxpayers must bring:
- Photo identification
- Printed copy of 2015 Tax Return.
- Social security ID for each person listed on the return(s).
- All income documents (W-2; Retirement and Social Security 1099’s; interest and dividends; state and federal tax refunds; capital gains/stock transactions; self-employment income and expenses; gambling winnings).
- All documents for deductions (charitable donations; medical and education expenses; real-estate taxes; mortgage interest, etc)
- Estimated tax payments made in 2016
Appointments can be made starting January 9, 2017 by calling 651-439-7434 between 9 am and 4 pm. Appointments are offered on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays from February 6 to April 12, 2017. All appointments will be held at Community Thread, 2300 West Orleans Street, Stillwater, MN 55082.